You may wonder why dentists recommend dental restorations on baby teeth. Aren’t they just going to fall out anyways? While this is true, they serve many important functions prior to being lost.
Besides contributing to an esthetic appearance and self-esteem, they are important for:
- Maintaining space in the jaw for the permanent teeth while guiding them into the proper position
- Allow for proper eating and chewing
- Permit normal development of the jaw bones and muscle
- Affect speech development
- Effect school performance
Many baby teeth are not lost until the age of 12. For this reason, keeping them healthy and treating dental decay when present is recommended!